Thursday, August 19, 2010

Grammartalk 8HB, Page One: Adverbs of Manner



1.
A: To be honest, I think Roger is a careless driver.
B: I agree. He drives very carelessly.
A: He shouldn’t drive carelessly. He might get hurt.
B: Also, I think Roger is a dishonest card player.
A: That’s right. I caught him cheating last night.
B: He plays cards very dishonestly.

2.
A: To be honest, I think Maria is a beautiful singer.
B: I agree. She sings very beautifully.
A: She should audition for more musicals. She might get hired.
B: I agree. She’s also a very graceful dancer.
A: You’re right. I saw her dance very nicely last night.
B: She dances very gracefully.

3.
A: Olga and David are good tennis players.
B: I agree. They play tennis very well.
A: They should play professionally. They might make some money.
B: I watched them play yesterday. They hit the ball very hard. They moved very fast.
A: Exactly. They’re also excellent tennis teachers.
B: Yes, their students improve rapidly.

4.
A: Those teenagers are sloppy painters.
B: I’m afraid so. They paint very sloppily.
A: They should try to paint more neatly. They miss too many spots.
B: The trouble is, they don’t work hard enough.
A: No, they don’t. They always think about having fun instead of working.
B: They’re still painting the same wall? They work too slowly.

5.
A: Fred shouted at his boss angrily yesterday.
B: Fred shouldn’t shout at his boss angrily. Fred might get fired.
A: He was upset because he didn’t get a raise.
B: He spoke angrily last week too. He shouldn’t get angry so frequently.
A: I told him to try to talk to the boss more calmly.
B: Yes, if he speaks more calmly, he might get a raise.

6.
A: You didn’t translate the story very accurately.
B: Really? I translated it as accurately as I could.
A: Not only that, you didn’t type it neatly.
B: I didn’t? Did I make a lot of spelling mistakes?
A: You should use the dictionary regularly.
B: All right, next time I’ll translate the story better.

7.
A: You should speak to your parents more politely.
B: I try to speak to them as politely as I can.
A: If you want to borrow the car, ask them nicely.
B: But I know they don’t need the car tonight. Why can’t I use it?
A: They’re willing to let you use it if you ask them respectfully.
B: I didn’t realize I was talking so impolitely.

8.
A: The boss thinks Mike is doing very well on the job.
B: I’m glad to hear that. Mike is a good worker.
A: Mike files the letters very carefully.
B: Oh, I know. Mike is a very careful worker.
A: He speaks to the customers on the phone very politely.
B: Mike knows how to talk to customers.

9.
A: The director thinks Sheila is doing very well in the
movie.
B: I’m happy to know that. She used to speak too softly.
A: Now, she’s speaking more loudly.
B: She also used to dance very awkwardly. Is she doing better?
A: Much better. Now, she dances very gracefully.
B: I hope she’ll be a movie star some day.

10.
A: The teacher is happy about Billy’s progress.
B: That’s good. He’s doing better than before.
A: He used to arrive at school too late. But now he’s on time.
B: He used to hand in his homework late, too.
A: That’s right. Now, he hands it in earlier.
B: I saw him last week. He dresses much neater than before.
A: That’s right. He used to dress too sloppily.

3 comments:

  1. Hello this is a great for me , I am practising a lot. If you're looking for best way for learning English. Well this is the best way try it. Thank you teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adverbs - Know more about Adverbs which are a form of parts of speech and browse our FREE resources for types and list of Adverbs. @ http://www.englishleap.com/grammar/adverbs

    ReplyDelete

Followers